Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My passion for cooking

I love my mom and would love to say I got my passion for cooking from her. But, sadly that is not the case. Growing up dinner almost always waited until my father got home too cook or it was boxed dinners with canned veggies. My Grandmother taught my father how to cook, both used to cook in restaurants and my father cooked in the military. I tease my dad and tell him that he screwed me over as far as men go. I expect my man to be able to cook, clean, do laundry yet still work on cars and outside. Not many men can do that or are willing. But, I digress my passion for cooking when my mom realized I loved to cook and was willing too cook I started cooking for a family of 6 on almost a nightly basis. I think I was about 12 or 13 at the time. I love playing with spices and making up new recipes. Sometimes I fail but other times I succeed. The one thing that I did get from my mother was my lack of patience I hate waiting for food to cook. I hate preparing and waiting forever for food to be done. So one of the recipes I learned from my mother and have kept is her meatloaf burgers. I have adapted them however to go with my current eating style.

1 pound ground turkey
1/4 C of chopped mushrooms
1 sm onion
1/2 C corn meal
1/4 C soy milk
2 TB steak sauce
2 cloves of fresh garlic grated

If the mixture is still too wet add some corn meal.
Add to a hot pan and cook until brown on both sides and cooked through. They are delish and moist!

1 comment:

  1. How awesome, I love that you have a passion for cooking!

    ReplyDelete